Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dinner tonight... Roasted Salmon with Lemon Relish

Wow. That's the word that comes to mind regarding tonight's meal. As I was making my meal plan for the week, I flipped through my Everyday Food Cookbook to see if it offered any inspiring salmon recipes. I found this one for Roasted Salmon with Lemon Relish and decided to give it a try. And I'm so glad I did! It is exceptional. And it's ridiculously simple to pull together, an essential on a night when I need to get dinner on the table in a flash.


The recipe has just a few steps. First, I toasted some pine nuts under the broiler on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil. While they were toasting away, I peeled and sliced some lemon zest, and put it, along with some golden raisins in a bowl, then covered that mixture with water I'd boiled in my tea kettle. Next, I pulled the pine nuts off of the cookie sheet and replaced them with two six-ounce salmon filets which went into the oven at 450 for 8 minutes (I also lowered the oven rack since I wasn't broiling them.) While the salmon was cooking, I drained the water off of the lemon-raisin mixture and added fresh lemon juice from the lemons I'd just zested, chopped parsley, olive oil and the now-toasted pine nuts to the bowl. After a dash of salt and pepper and a good stir, the lemon relish was complete. When the salmon came out of the oven, I laid each piece atop a bed of baby spinach, then topped each piece of salmon with the relish, and we sat down to eat.

The flavors of the lemon zest, raisins, parsley and pine nuts, along with the tang of the lemon juice and the subtle lilt of the olive oil, worked together in the most wonderful way. It was the perfect combination of disparate ingredients, all jumbled together to make the dish sing. It is seriously going to rival the Glazed Salmon I wrote about last week for my loyalty as far as Best Salmon Preparation Ever goes. Not to mention that because it looks so pretty and tastes so good, yet is deceptively easy to make, it has great dinner party potential. In other words, I will definitely make this again!

No comments: