Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Dinner tonight... Slow Cooker Pot Roast

This is the first time since we got married that I made something in my slow cooker for me and Mr. Fritz. And actually, the impetus behind the meal was less Mr. Fritz and more Mr. & Mrs. Fleming, as it was my turn to bring them a post-new-baby meal. I knew I'd want to get the meal to them as soon as possible after work and that I'd want to make something that could double as a meal for me and T as well. With that in mind, I turned to the October issue of Everyday Food magazine and settled on Slow Cooker Pot Roast.

Yesterday morning, I cleaned and cut up the carrots and peeled and sliced the onions into wedges. I put the whole lot into a Ziploc in the fridge, making it all the easier to assemble the ingredients in the slow cooker this morning. And assembly could not have been simpler: I mixed together cornstarch and water in the bottom of the crock pot, added the vegetables and tossed them with a little salt and pepper, then set the 3 pound slab of beautifully marbled beef chuck roast on top. After shaking a bit more salt and pepper on the meat, I drizzled it with 2 Tb of Worchester sauce, put the lid on the slow cooker and set the timer for 10 hours on low. When I returned from work around 6:20 this evening, the house was fragrant with the scent of what I could tell would be a really comforting meal. And it was! As soon as I returned from delivering most of it to the Flemings, Mr. Fritz and I dug into the bit I'd set aside for us.



The beef was perfectly tender, falling apart with the touch of the fork. And the vegetables were carmelized and flavorful. I paired it with a salad composed of baby butter lettuce and fresh raspberries (on sale at the Teeter!) mixed with a Raspberry-Champagne Vinaigrette and served it alongside hot, crusty French bread. A perfect meal as fall sets in!

No comments: